UltraBac Software  

Go Back   UltraBac Software Forum > UltraBac Technical Support > UltraBac Usage Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
JMack

Default UB scripting / automation?

Hi -

Let me say first that I have zero experience with UltraBac so excuse me if some of this seems naive or obvious to you all.

I'm walking into a situation where a previous tech has written an extensive shell around UB (v6 I think) using Windows command-line scripting: invoking UB with various command-line options and capturing stdout / stderr etc. The shell also does several other things that don't invoke UB, such as searching tape logs etc.

It's all very creaky and the users would like to update it, but the reliance on the CLI is spooky at best. Does UB offer a straight-up API or (better for me) a COM/OLE (Automation) interface that we can program to?

The intent is to upgrade to the latest UB version, and also to update the OSes to Win 2K3 Server -- do these play well together?

Thanks for any insights or advice...

Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

UB does not have any published API / COM interface. However, pretty much all functionality is exposed via the command line interface which is further directed by the .ub/.ubb files.

UB /? from the command prompt will give you a list of the commands, and they are further documented on our knowledge base.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
JMack

Default re: UB scripting / automation?

Thanks for your note.

I don't know anything about .ubb files so I'll have a look there, but the main issue isn't with sending commands (they're doing that now), it's getting feedback in the form of progress reports, time estimates etc, as well as extended success/failure reporting with reasons, etc. from thos CLI commands.

--
Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMack View Post
I don't know anything about .ubb files so I'll have a look there, but the main issue isn't with sending commands (they're doing that now), it's getting feedback in the form of progress reports, time estimates etc, as well as extended success/failure reporting with reasons, etc. from thos CLI commands.
There isn't anything available to determine (for example) how long the backup will take, or the percentage completion.

There are, however, "exit codes" issued by UB for the purposes of scripting. A zero exit code indicates success, 1-999 indicates a warning, 1000+ indicates a failure. The documentation lists all possible exit codes.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
JMack

Default re: UB scripting / automation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There isn't anything available to determine (for example) how long the backup will take, or the percentage completion.

There are, however, "exit codes" issued by UB for the purposes of scripting. A zero exit code indicates success, 1-999 indicates a warning, 1000+ indicates a failure. The documentation lists all possible exit codes.
Thanks. I'd put a request in the hopper for some kind of callback hook / minimal API so that people like us who want to leverage your software in a more extensive shell can do so.

A COM interface / object model (with methods, events and properties) would be ideal, since it would let you site UB in a different scripting environment like JS, VB, VBS etc., but anything would be better than no hooks at all.

--
Jim