UltraBac Software  

Go Back   UltraBac Software Forum > UltraBac Technical Support > UltraBac Usage Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Distributed File System

On a Windows 2003 Server, Ultrabac fails to access any files through the DFS shares. I have confirmed that the backup account does access the shares, by logging on as that user.

DFS is going to be a deal breaker if if we can not back up those files.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Scriven Taylor

BJ,

What version of UltraBac are you using?

Are you trying to backup a "File-by-file Network Share"?

What exactly is happening, (On-screen error message, error in the log file) when you try to backup the share?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quick couple of points regarding DFS. My internal RAM is a little rusty, but here's what I remember.

I believe DFS implements its technology through "reparse points". UB, by default, does not enumerate reparse points -- the reason is that these locations are representations of files located physically elsewhere. There is a registry entry for UB that can be set to force the enumeration of reparse points if you're sure that this is what you want to do.
However, normally it's best to simply backup the "real" files where they physically exist. While backing up an entire DFS hierarchy might be a more simplistic approach, you are asking a lot more from the system to be able to do this for you, and you also open yourself up to more problems (maybe one or two locations are not online at time of enumeration etc). It's also VERY EASY when enumerating reparse points to get into a recursive loop where enumeration will continue so deep that it will eventually cause UB to crash or exhaust memory) -- and also it can cause the same file to be backed up multiple times in the same backup.
So, rather than try to backup DFS's file-system presentation, I'd recommend developing a backup strategy that backs-up the files the comprise the DFS hierarchy directly. This approach is more reliable (since it in no way depends on DFS, and is not subject to any performance overhead). Also, the backup strategy can be configured to concurrently backup multiple DFS sources, and this can substantially reduce your backup window requirements which can be hugely beneficial.