UltraBac Software  

Go Back   UltraBac Software Forum > UltraBac Technical Support > UBDR Pro/Gold
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Default System hang at started after UBDR P2V restore

Did an image backup of 2 logical drives (C and E) of a domain controller running Windows 2003. The 2 drives are partitions on a SCSI drive and it is set to basic not dymanic. The virtual machine is running under VMWare Server and the defined disk is set for SCSI and is slightly larger than the physical disk. One host machine is running Windows 2003 and another I tried is running Windows XP. I have restored other non domain controller machines to the XP box and last week virtualized two servers with the help of UBDR to a different Windows 2003 server.

The restore goes fine, did the MBR restore first. Then the system drive I used the Restore to different hardware and the 2nd drive with no options. While UBDR is shutting down and before the VM starts I changed the networking from Bridged to Host Only. The VM boots up and after the normal Windows startup stuff, gets to the point where it's displaying the "Please wait..." dialog. It shows the "Windows is starting up...", then a little while later shows the "Preparing network connections..." after about 5 minutes it shows the "Applying computer settings..." where it stays. Right now it's been at that point for an hour. So far the other times I wasn't able to sit and watch it the entire time and when I got back to it it had the screen saver going. At that point nothing gets it out of the screen saver, send Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. I know that after a P2V restore it can take a while to boot the first time, usually after the first boot and the VMWare tools install everything seems to work fine. And as I was typing this, the screen saver kicked in. At this point I don't know what to do. We need this domain controller for a Disaster Recovery test and can't put it on it's own hardware that's identical to the production machine.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 AM
UltraBac Technical Support

Hi Dennis,

After you do the restore, on boot-up hit f8 and go into safe-mode with networking. next go into the network settings and assign a ip address and then reboot.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue.
Phone: 425-644-6000
Email: Derek@ultrabac.com
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks Derek, I'll give that a try and let you know.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Derek,

Well at least I was able to get the the ctrl-alt-delete screen, which I never did before, only to find out that it's running an OEM version of Windows 2003 and not our volume license version. So it wanted to be activated. I tried the setup-repair option but it blue screens when starting up Windows. I'll get the guy responsible for the physical server to make sure it's changed from the OEM to the VL version and try again.

Thanks,
Dennis